Wednesday, November 22, 2006

In Britney's world, divorce signals maturity

Nov. 7 was a glorious day.

Not only was it a perfect day to go out and exercise our right to vote in the mid-term elections, it was also my birthday.

But it wasn’t my own personal “Best Day Ever” until election-day coverage broke into entertainment news.

Britney Spears had finally come to her senses. She was shipping Fed-Ex out.

I can’t say it was surprising that Spears decided to divorce her wannabe rapper husband of two years, Kevin Federline. There were just too many situations working against these two – the huge gap between Spears’ and Federline’s bank accounts; his two out-of-wedlock children with a previous girlfriend; his whiny and cocky ‘respect-me-because-I’m-a-serious-rapper’ attitude.
The entire world could see exactly what K-Fed really was, including Spears’ mother, according to some reports. As they say, love is blind.

Alissa, a local commenter on The Daily Star’s blog, pointed out that she’s known a few ‘Fed-Exes’ in her time. Even if they weren’t former backup dancers, they still fit the bill.

“I knew a few fellas back in my day who were the epitome of FedEx,” she said. “And then I grew up.”

After more than two years of being in the spotlight for events unrelated to her musical career – the 55-hour annulled Vegas wedding, the baby-riding-on-the-lap-while-driving incident and the doomed “Dateline” interview, just to name a few – Spears is finally realizing that she must make a career comeback to regain her credibility. The K-Fed disaster was just a final learning experience.

Spears, at 24, is finally all grown up.

It sounds strange for me to say that about a woman with two sons. But Spears’ situation is a little different – she’s been famous worldwide since she was 16 years old.

She, just like many child stars, simply hasn’t had the time to grow up.

I actually find Spears’ situation a lot like pop star Madonna’s, who, of course, shared that infamous kiss with Spears on the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards. That act was a lot more symbolic than either Spears or Madonna realized.

In 1995 Madonna announced to the world in an interview that she wanted to be a mother. Quickly after that, she gave birth to a daughter, Lourdes. The girl’s father is Carlos Leon, a personal trainer. Madonna and Leon were never rumored to be much more than a dating couple, and they would never be more than that.

Madonna simply wanted a child, and paternity never seemed to be a big concern. The world wasn’t shocked – consider the source. This was Madonna’s attempt at finding normality within a very public and nontraditional lifestyle.

Likewise, Spears, from the time she announced her engagement to Federline, proclaimed that she always wanted to be “a young mother.” And nothing was going to stop her from having what she thought was going to grant her a normal, adult life – a baby.

I guess I have to give props to Spears for marrying Federline beforehand, but she must not have thought about the ramifications of making Federline a dad for the third, then fourth, time.

I’m not sure if Spears could differentiate between wanting a new car and wanting a baby. In her world, if she wanted it, she got it. Only after putting up with a few harsh realities after the birth of Sean Preston was she finally able to snap out of dreamland. And the same happened with Federline – who was said to be growing increasingly violent during their fights about his flirting, among other things.

It is a shame that the children have to be involved in Spears’ highly public divorce. One positive thing is that they are too young to truly know what is happening.

But if not for the kids, I’m not sure we’d have the Spears we have today – confident, attractive and ready to reinvent herself. I have no reason to believe, even with the baby blunders, that Spears doesn’t love her sons with all her heart.

I’m not a huge fan of Spears’ music, but I know legions of her fans are rooting for a comeback. Unlike a few of this column’s commenters, I think her new image will err on the modest side. With acts like Fergie, I’m not sure even Spears – formerly the top saleswoman of sex – can outdo what’s on the popular music landscape right now.

She’ll just need to do some serious reinventing – something her pal Madonna knows a lot about.

Spears’ new CD is due in early 2007.

13 comments:

Alissa said...

Woowoo! Look at me! Look at me! I got a quote in your column, Renee! Word to ya honey ~ that rocks!

Yep, I can count on one hand how many FedEx's I've had in my life :-). Before "growing up" and meeting my husband. And I guess when it comes down to it - that's exactly what makes a good marriage - growing up. Clearly, Britney is on her way.

But can I tell you something about her 55 hour marriage? I don't know the young man she married back then. And for being in such a small area, we've probably crossed paths in the stores on occasion and I never would have known it. But he's a good looking guy, coming from a good family, who lives on a beautiful spot of land from what I've seen on the television a few years back. He's a college student, and looked healthy like he took care of himself. Any lady would probably be lucky to have him. A hundred bucks says, Britney is just realizing this NOW. And it is ashame when Hollywood lights, lawyers, and fame cloud what marriage truly is. The marriage of FedEx & Britney is an example of what not to be.

Now I know, I know. Get ready for some bantering by those who will say it's none of our business. And they are slightly correct - to each his own opinion.

But it wasn't me who put out a "chaotic" reality show after marrying a man who already had one child and another on the way, left that girlfriend to be with Britney and have some more children when he can't even sell tickets to his own rap show. That was all Britney and the infinite wisdom of lawyers, producers, and managers. And somehow, the advice of those around her thought the public would be, I don't know, happy for her? If she was wanting a "reaction" from people by her reality show marriage - well, she got one. Maybe it finally hit home for Britney and her managers that the viewing public are not as dumb as they thought we were.

Anonymous said...

Yippee! Another Britanny post for the Hammond Star blog. You would think the Hammond Daily Star could at least swing their own domain and blogging technology rather than a freebie from Google.

Someone needs to revisit the post from the 12 points to ponder on making a successful blog that actually matters to the people of Hammond. Hey! Stuff doesn't just happen on the net because you show up there in your free blog. If you build it, doesn't mean they will come and doesn't mean they will care if they do.

I can't believe they ran this above the fold in today's paper. Guess they don't realize that advertising your free, uncustomized blog full of Brittany Spears posts just screams lame.

Anonymous said...

It's a sad commentary when the Bugtussel Blog is headline news above a local explosion.

Amen Lapinator and 12-step guy!
Can't the Bugtussel Star come up with some real political bloggers or real journalists who blog?

Brittany Spears is worthy of an honorable mention but how long can we harp on the fact that she's getting a divorce, she made a seedy home movie with a chump who is holding her up for money? Ok, news over, on to something that counts, ok?

I really understand why the Hammond Star (aka Bugtussel News) has so few subscribers. When will you people wake up and realize newspapers report the news not the gossip, and blogs are web logs, not news columns.

I must agree with Lapinator on another issue, it's pretty dumb looking not to have a customized blog. They're too easy and cheap to be playing with this freebie google stuff. I would think journalists, who themselves are avid blog fans, and those of us who are semi-regular blog readers can identify cheesy uncustomized blogs.

The Daily Star said...

We are in the process of having our entire Web site redone; until then we are using the Blogger.com interface. I am a graphic designer myself, but I'm not really of the opinion that a blog has to be fantastically designed/customized to do its job. It's for posting text and pictures, after all, and as long as the site isn't garish or distracting I don't see a problem with it.

I think this is the last time I'll say, too, that my columns are entertainment-related. I am trying to make them more localized. Britney has made major headlines around the world within the last two weeks (so much so that I got a call from a British magazine asking if the Star had a 'relationship' with her family). Therefore she was my topic... besides, she's from Kentwood.

Also, I'm not the one who made the decision to put my weekly column above the fold on page one. It's a different spot than usual. Please contact the editor - editor@hammondstar.com - if you want to complain about story placement in the paper.

We have a few local columnists that run weekly on the editorial page... should they be posted here? Please tell the editor so she can tell me.

Other than that maybe I should go back to a rule I posted a few months back about deleting comments that have nothing to do with the post they are attached to...

Alissa said...

Lapinator ---->"I can't believe they ran this above the fold in today's paper.

Jealous?

Interesting to note, that as of late with another blogger anxst, and obviously a friend to the "typo blogger" who has posted above, Britney Spears would be your favorite subject? You seem to have so much in common. You gripe and moan, get mad when people dont agree, and go on some public rant that might make you feel like you've accomplished something.

Heehee! You've accomplished something alright. Just like Britney :-).

Oh - and sigh. You don't know much about Google, do you? Free advertisement by free blogs spell out big $$$ for the gone public company that is Google. I assure you, the Hammond Star isn't hurting one iota about some free space by Google, any more than Google is itself.

But I can tell you are.

Renee - I know you are usually pretty cool with the freedom of speech thing and all - but any way you can start deleting the troll comments that have nothing to do with topic?

Alissa said...

Oh, another thing, Crack? The explosion in Tickfaw was certainly LOUD. But that's all it was. No injuries, no deaths to report, so no sad news for ya there. I live nearby, and the TPD and LST, as well as NFD had that all under control within seconds.

~Please feel free to delete. Off topic. Just sounds like Crack wants some more drama for his daily fix. Crack Kill's, I suggest "Lifetime Television for women" ito get your daily dose of drama. Works for me!

Anonymous said...

here in hammond for a visit had to check this out. another blog in the future IS her first husband for 55 hours saw this on another website. oh wonderful

Confirmed castmembers for Season 7 of VH1 Surreal Life include pro wrestler Randy Savage, poker player Phil Hellmuth, Playboy Playmate Tina Marie Jordan, Cassandra Peterson (better known as Elvira), rapper Bushwick Bill, Britney Spears's 1st husband Jason Allen Alexander, "psychic" Miss Cleo, Blue Man Group frontman Chris Wink and actress Tiffany Brissette (who will also be the house psychiatrist).

Anonymous said...

Anyone hear the local group called REDFISH?...they do 70's, mostly;
Very good! Singer from Thibodaux area,I think...Played at the fest in Mandeville a few months ago...
Check 'em out
http://www.redfishrocks.com/index.cfm

Anonymous said...

Have you been seeing all the horrible publicity Britney Spears has been getting for herself. Just appalling. I'm ashamed she's from our area. Maybe that husband of hers wasn't so bad after all.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I am so jealous of Brittany. Google? Not sure what all that means, but most professional publications use their own domain for a blog, at the very least. Has nothng to do with Google.

And, who needs Lifetime network when we can read tons of airhead celebrity highlights right here!

Anonymous said...

TO ALISSA - you really should put down that pipe and run out to Wal-Mart and buy yourself a life.

Brittany Spears deserves no more commentary than to say she epitomizes trailer park trash.

It's a sad day when people get star struck about a woman who clearly makes the entire parish (perhaps the state) look like a bunch of barn-bred, uncle-daddies.

You would think some of you Bugtusselites would have sense enough in this blog to talk about world events or something that has some significance to mankind, but nooo, let's harp on Brittney.

Nuff Said

Love TypoTroll
Merry Christmas

Alissa said...

Anonymous (figures) - "Love TypoTroll Merry Christmas"

Well, that explains it ;-).

Anonymous/Typo troll, you really shouldn't let what other people do give you a bad name. Why would you be so concerned that the one and only Britney has brought down the entire parish and perhaps the state of Louisiana? Are you that easily swayed by anothers opinion you would cower down in the face of adversity?

Obviously.

Sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier, Typo troll :-). I've been shopping at Wal Mart ... hehehe!

Anonymous said...

In Britney's world, her actions equal attention. She doesn't care what we think, she is going to do what she wants. I haven't seen much by way of maturity from her, but,then again, I don't know her personally so I only see one side of the picture.