Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Media's messages on body image not hard to decipher

Monday night found me watching the impossibly toned Jennifer Nettles hop around the stage on the Country Music Association Awards feeling just a little inadequate. Nettles is the lead singer of country pop duo Sugarland. If I remember correctly, Sugarland used to be a trio. Suddenly I started to wonder what happened to the group’s plain-looking, not-so-toned, short-haired female guitarist.

Maybe she faded into obscurity in light of the fact that Nettles was not only the group’s lead singer, but for all intents and purposes, the entire band. If you watch the band’s video for “Just Might (Make Me Believe)” it’s tough to tell if there are any members other than Nettles. What can I say? The girl can sing… and her face can sell records.

It’s true that plain-looking people tend to fade into the background. And lately television hasn’t been shy in pointing out that sad fact of biology.

On Friday, “20/20’s” John Stossel set out to uncover what we all already knew about “Privilege in America.” He discussed nepotism and unfair treatment of poor vs. wealthy citizens. He even did some great hidden-camera “investigations” in which a celebrity look-alike sailed to the front of the line in a busy coffee shop just to gauge the reactions. (What were people going to say — oh, yes, we love being cut in front of by Paris Hilton?)

The most harsh experiment came when he took two young women — one considered attractive and one considered plain — and put them head-to-head in a competition for tips at a sports bar and grill. The attractive waitress came back with about $50 more in tips than the other. Another experiment used the same premise and showed that people are more willing to help beautiful people if they drop a pile of books in the street.

Stossel really got me thinking about the predicament we find ourselves in with regard to body image. It doesn’t take Tyra Banks or Vanessa Manillo dressing up as overweight “Ugly Betties” to tell me that this discrimination really does occur (both of which actually happened, by the way).

Academics and psychiatrists are railing against the “rail” thin models filling fashion magazines. French officials recently outlawed anorexic models walking the catwalk in fashion shows. But none of that changes the fact that we are biologically wired to show favor toward beauty. That’s the case according to anthropologist Helen Fisher, who said that beauty appeals to a primal mechanism. Beauty simply equals good genes in our brains. We’re attracted to beauty, and we just can’t help it. We also think beautiful people are smart, hard working and interesting. Anyone who has seen the “Anna Nicole” show knows, mentally, that’s not true.

But the good thing, Stossel said, is that we are now able to help ourselves in the race to be beautiful. “Extreme Makeover” started the whole plastic surgery craze, but it was canceled last week. Luckily you’re never far from a doctor willing to fix your imperfections for the right price.

And it seems like we never make much progress on our want to accept all body types. A typical teen magazine might feature one or two models who happen to be a size 10 instead of a size eight, and that is supposed to suffice for progress. We watch “Celebrity Fit Club” and try to be happy because a has-been celebrity has dropped two pounds. We make front-page news out of an overweight lingerie model strutting down the runway but continue to care about the exploits of such pillars of the community as Kate Moss and Naomi Campbell.

I really don’t see this pattern changing, at least not until America Ferrera of ABC’s “Ugly Betty” can carry a blockbuster film and make millions. That would mean that Angelina Jolie, Reese Witherspoon, Salma Hayek and Pamela Anderson would have to die in a horrific accident.

And everyone knows beautiful people wear their seat belts, right?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are not going to be original, informative or thought provoking, would you at least try to be interesting? If this blog (I hesitate to use that word, since what you are doing is nothing more than writing a weekly online column) is just going to be your opportunity to provide your banal opinions about something that you've seen on TV or read about online, it has no value to you, your paper, its readers, and – most importantly – to me.

Let me offer you 12 topics (free of charge) that would make for interesting reading and would be guaranteed to get responses – some perhaps not even anonymous:
1.The state of our Parish schools
2.Religion in Public Schools
3.The status of the Hosanna Church case. By the way, what is going on with that?
4.Anything to do with local Politics
5.Anything to do with the local economy
6.Racism
7.Zoning, lot sizes, etc.
8.Anything to do with Hammond's plan for the future (if there is one). I'd give 10 dollars to anyone who could give me a good definition of Smart Growth?
9.Video Bingo
10.What is with this Science Museum idea? Will it display the bones of 3000 year old dinosaurs or 65 million year old dinosaurs?
11.Hey isn't this a University town? I wonder if there is a professor at S.L.U. that is doing something interesting? Could be...
12.Who makes the best hamburgers, McDonald's or Wendy's?

When and if you ever exhaust these, I'll give you 12 more.

Now, it could be that you don't have a lot to say about any of these topics. Or, it could be that these topics don't interest you or maybe these topics would take too much time for you to research and write about. I don't know. What I do know is that you and your paper are squandering a great opportunity. It is the opportunity to start a conversation with and among the people of Hammond. There are many people– more than you apparently think – who would welcome that conversation. But it's your paper's choice. It can remember it's heritage or it can make the same business decision it made a couple of years ago when it began taking it's politically safe and glad-handing editorial stances against litter and for parents getting involved in their children's education.

The Daily Star said...

That's what I write... an online column. It is about pop culture and entertainment. That's my thing; that's what I cover. I am the special projects editor, not really a beat reporter. That being said we have used the blog in the past to get comments from our readers about issues like lot sizes, the new mall, etc. If you have anything to say about a news story please comment and I'll make a new post about it. I have no problem letting the readers dictate what is here... but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll be the one starting the discussion or writing about it.

Oh, as far as the hamburger question, have you ever read the Drive-Thru Gourmet colum that runs on Fridays? I don't eat burgers at either place so I don't have an opinion. By the way, since when is that a hot topic?

And I happen to think the issue of body image is far from banal.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Well now, I've never known anybody who doesn't eat McDonald's or Wendy's hamburgers and I'm shocked that you don't think that would be an interesting topic. Now you must know how I feel after reading your comments about body image.

I have an idea, instead of calling whatever this is "blah, blah, blog", why don't you call it, "things that interest our special projects editor but that you probably won't care about".

Won't you just look at the responses to your own column. When you write about your opinions on pop culture or entertainment, no one cares. Why should they? Who are you? Those issues are far away and can only be of interest to people with too much time on there hands. But when you write about something that concerns us locally, like what to name the mall (?), lot sizes (was there anything else?) the number of respondents (and interest I assume) increases. Look, you guys are the professionals, I shouldn't have to explain this to you.

I've provided you the topics, if I have to provide the post, I suppose I can!!!

The Daily Star said...

Ok ok got it; you hate my column. Fair enough. Not everyone will like it. There's a reason, though, that my stuff is printed on the "Homestyle" page and not the editorial page.

Check out the Downtown section Thursday and you can read my 'local' stories. Warning though, they're about a local band and businesses. ;)

Alissa said...

Hi Renee! Just thought I'd pop in to tell you Hello! Also (ahem) ...

I just love how each week in the homestyle section, your name, your photo, and the ways to reach you are fully printed for the reading public of the newspaper. I also enjoy how you cover a multitude of things that interest a variety of people. For example ...

Names on the new mall received a resounding response, while other columns you have written are truly "Things that make you go hmmmm..." And when columns like that are written, believe me, the reading public gives it true thought :-).

As for other writers on the web, I guess everyone likes to be a hero or something. Sometimes you run into people who look no further than their own ego to post here. And that's okay. It's just another fine example of how ridiculous our country has gotten by thinking that whining and moaning and complaining whether in public or behind a screen name on the pc, suddenly makes them feel, I don't know - somehow important?

At any rate, I'm glad Renee, that you don't allow minor opinions to change the way you think or feel :-). I'm happy you don't allow the whining of others to change your format or your ideal of thinking. It's about time more people did :-). for as huge as the world wide web is - sometimes others think they have a handle on it all. Even to go so far as to think they could do a better job? Heh.

I'm glad it's you who works for the Hammond Star. If the Hammond Star left it up to anyone else to be as level headed, cool minded, and of reasonably sound mind - they would fail miserabley. Being cooly collected throughout your column is what makes your regular readers and posters keep coming back, whether they post or not. For the constant rambliungs of compaints? They are just another stew of words and jumbled nonsense that the thinking reader realizes why they appreciate your work at the Hammond Star even more so - whether entertainment or otherwise.

Take care, Renee.

The Daily Star said...

Thanks, Alissa. As anyone who really knows me knows, I keep up politics and local issues. One of the goals I'm working on in my column is to make it more localized. But I also try to make it an escape for people. I think that's important too. After all I started this thing with the request by the paper to write about "American Idol." No, a TV show isn't directly impacting my life. But it's something a lot of people care about, whether they post here or not.

I just wish I would have had time this week to write a little something about good ole Britney... the Downtown section is eating up my week! But I'm thinking next week we'll be knee-deep in some crazy mud-slinging between those two and it'll just be perfect for comment. :)

The Blogger! said...

I would like to see more investigative journalism at the Daily Star. I enjoy reading your blog but would prefer one with the topics I like. You can't make everyone happy. I think this is what makes blogging fun. Why don't they do more investigative stuff at the Daily Star?

The Daily Star said...

Probably something to address to the editor - editor@hammondstar.com.

Anonymous said...

I don't hate your blog. That is much too strong a word for how I feel about the topics you right about. And if Allisa finds your column interesting and it makes her and the rest of your reading public go hmmmm, then obviously I'm all wet. She's right, I'm wrong.

Also, I'm no hero or something, nor am I pretending to be important to you, Allissa or the one or two other people that may be reading your column. I was just under a serious misimpression about what your paper intended when it started this blog. Now that I've been corrected; now that you and Allisa have put me in my proper place and found my ego where I lost it on your pages, I'll be on way.

But before I go, let me tell you what I do hate. I hate sloppy thinking in any form and in any forum. I hate pretend topics about make-believe reality. I hate it when people think that the status quo is good enough. And most of all, I hate that we live in city where there are people who think that other people who have opinions are whiners and moaners.

The Daily Star said...

The editor won't mind hearing your opinion about how the paper uses the blog. Write her a letter. editor@hammondstar.com.

All I know is that the the blog was started with a column I wrote about "American Idol." My columns have continued to be about similar topics. So I'm not sure where the notion came from that it should be about hard news? We have offered topics here for public comment, of course, but the only columns have been from me.

I'm glad you don't hate my columns, notevenwrong, but it's still pretty harsh to say that what I write about is "imaginary." :(

The Blogger! said...

notevenwrong...calm down man...what's up with all that hostility?

Anonymous said...

I say if you don't like the blah, blah, blog, then don't read it. Why waste your time on something that you don't like to start with?

Also. I would like a blog started on Britney Spears. She is very controversial, and I would like to know just how people around our community really feel about her.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

The Daily Star said...

Britney Spears it is! ;)