Thursday, January 18, 2007

Blah, Blah, Blogging... about the SAINTS


The Saints being poised to make it into Superbowl XLI is surreal news for what’s now an equally surreal world.

This thing is starting to make me question reality. I’m sure part of The Matrix got miscoded a few months ago, and this is the result.

I’ll call Keanu Reeves and see what he can do about sending a heat wave over Chicago Sunday afternoon.

On to the hits and misses...


Please, leave the trash-talk on the Senate floor — Illinois Senator Barack Obama said Monday that the Saints should be prepared for their “fairytale ride” to come to an end Sunday. For someone who’s toying with running for the Democratic presidential nomination, he sure doesn’t know how to get or keep support in the Deep South.

Personally I think Obama should give his free playoff ticket to a New Orleans storm victim and pay for his or her travel expenses.

Where Y’at, FCC? — If you noticed the blond Saints fan with the offensive T-shirt broadcast during the game Saturday night, you’re not alone. Apparently her name is Heather, and she’s become a minor celebrity on YouTube.com.

Tuesday evening a local radio station was attempting to interview her, all because a FOX producer couldn’t see the F-word right in front of his face.

According to an e-mail from FOX spokesman Lou D’Ermilio, the scene was not live. It was recorded during a play and aired during a replay.

Nice going. But in a world where those words can fly fast and free after 11 p.m. on Comedy Central, is a second’s worth of profanity really that big of a deal? You tell me.


Angelina Jolie, Southern soccer mom — The biggest celebrity news coming out of New Orleans is that actress Angelina Jolie and her boyfriend/fiance/babydaddy Brad Pitt have bought a $3.5 million home in the French Quarter. Jolie says she wants to befriend “normal moms” and send her three children (two adopted, one not) to school in the city.

The other reason for the move — to escape the paparazzi — has pretty much been neutralized by the fact that everyone knows where she’s moving. The best way to avoid stalkers is, of course, to announce your move in US Weekly magazine.

Pitt has been doing some charity work in the city while filming another movie, so it’s probably convenient for them to be here right now. But I’m sure when the novelty wears off, they’ll go back to La La Land.

Then again, if there’s any celebrity who’s experienced the gamut of primitive, Third World conditions, it’s Jolie, who adopts children from impoverished countries and travels the world for the United Nations. And there’s that dark side of hers, the one prone to gothic dress and wearing vials of blood as jewelry.

At least the city will collect taxes on the property and rent some hotel rooms to paparazzi. And I’m sure they’ll grab a bite to eat while they’re in town. So thanks, Angelina and Brad, for improving New Orleans’ tourism outlook.


I’ll leave the Golden Globes up to you — Due to an interruption in my cable service Monday night, I missed the Golden Globe Awards. But I don’t feel like I missed out on much, not when I can tune into “The Insider” and get all the silly coverage I need.

“American Idol” alum Jennifer Hudson took home an award for “Dreamgirls” (never seen it), “Babel” won for best picture (never seen it) and America Ferrera won as TV’s “Ugly Betty” (never seen it).

Maybe Charter Communications did me a favor by forcing me to spend the night working on my computer.

The full list of winners can be found here. Is it just me, or is Hollywood once again proving that it’s out of touch with the likes and dislikes of the American public?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll start with the beginning of the post and work my way down.

I do agree with you that the thought of the Saints being in the Superbowl is completely surreal. If they win, there will probably be a party that lasts all the way through Mardi Gras. It's a complete uplift for the city of New Orleans and I think the fans will be grateful.

As far as Obama goes, I'll keep my comments nice. He's in a position where he could run and possibly win in an election for president and his negative comments do not help him much. That incident reminds me of Mayor Nagin's "Chocolate City" comments, which were also inappropriate.

I think that it's a great thing for Brangelina and their kids to move into the French Quarter. Not only does it benefit them (to be in a city where the cameras aren't constantly flashing in their faces), but it also shows the rest of the world that we're okay and that it's safe to live in the city.

Now onto the Golden Globe awards. I haven't watched them in quite awhile because of the fact that it's just a popularity contest. I do not agree with the choices that are made. I did watch the end where the movie "Babel" won for best film or something of the sort. First off, I've never heard of the film (if someone else has, please fill me in). I'm usually pretty much in the loop as far as movies and entertainment and the fact that I missed this one, makes me think that it's not worth my time.

Okay I'm done :-)

Anonymous said...

I forgot about the t-shirt contest at the Saints vs. Eagles game. I'm trying to place myself in the position of a cameraman. If I'm just doing crowd shots, I can understand there being vulgarity and the cameraman missing it. He may not have been looking right at her, or he could have been looking to see what her shirt said because he had gotten other posters and such that taunted the Eagles. This scene was shown during the game (not during a highlights session only). Overall, I do not think that the guy should be brought to the gallows for his mistake (if it was one), but the issue should be addressed.

The Daily Star said...

Hey Rachel.

I agree with you that the offensive T-shirt isn't that horrible... but it wasn't even a live shot! Some producer had to look at it long enough to splice it into the live coverage. So that's two sets of eyes that didn't notice the F-word.

Fabulous!!

Alissa said...

Renee --->"I’ll call Keanu Reeves and see what he can do about sending a heat wave over Chicago Sunday afternoon."

Honey, just the mention of his name gave me a fever ---woowoo!

Okay, I know. My bad. Shame, shame.

I guess you can tke a wild guess as to where I stand on Brangelina in the Veaux Carre'. Less photographers? HA!

That's Brangelina language for: "Oh, us powers that be! Our mere presence in the French Quarter will bring awareness to the world on poverty stricken New Orleans and the devastation. Maybe we can adopt even more poverty striken children for our next movie .... AHEM! I mean for our growing family."

Brangelina moving to the French Quarter for peace and tranquility? Gimme a break. Publicity, publicity, publicity.

Anonymous said...

Oh paallleeeeezzzze! Angie and Brad aren't going to stay in New Orleans. They're just there for his movie. People would like to think they'd live there to make the city look good. They have houses all over the place and let's face it, New Orleans isn't third world enough for Angie. She'd rather go to places where there isn't ANYTHING and adopt children that are starved and dyeing. It makes her look good to the public eye. Of course in my opinion it's all for publicity. Lots of celebrities give to charities and adopt children but you don't see them advertising it all over the place. As soon as Brads finished with his movie they'll split for another country and forget all about New Orleans. Funny, with all the homeless children in the US she'd adopt just one.

The Blogger! said...

Go Saints Go! Today is the day we take another step into history.

This is off topic but if you would like to hear what's going on at Hammond pd check out our unofficial blog www.ourpd.blogspot.com We would like to hear from you. After all we do work for you.

Anonymous said...

Of course the Saints did it again. Got everyone's hopes up and for what? Thats what they do best, lead you up to a big climax and then fizzel out. And don't blame it on the weather.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous...

To be completely honest, the Saints didn't do anything to hype themselves up; we did it for them on our own. Therefore, we should not be upset when they don't meet the goals that WE set for them. They had an amazing season and I do not think that they could have done any better being that they played in conditions that they're not familiar with.

Anonymous said...

Rachel, you're right about that weather thing. They couldn't play worth a spit in the desert. Sorry, but the Saints suck no matter what kind of season they had. Been that way ever since I was a child and that's been 40 something years. I didn't expect them to win and didn't hype myself up for them. They are loosers and always will be!

Alissa said...

Anonymous ---->"Sorry, but the Saints suck no matter what kind of season they had. Been that way ever since I was a child and that's been 40 something years. I didn't expect them to win and didn't hype myself up for them. They are loosers and always will be!"

Glutton for punishment, much?

Geez, Anon. After everything they've been through, and making it as far as they have? The Saints ALREADY WON before ever stepping foot in Chicago. I'm sorry we don't see eye to eye.

Anonymous said...

SAINTS STILL SUCK!!!

Anonymous said...

Saints had a great season. It's great to see that they made it so far. They could have won, but oh well, it was fun while it lasted...and there's always next season. As far as the Obama comment goes, c'mon...lighten up. Have some fun. It was a joke that wasn't even worth highlighting as even semi-offensive. It was kind of funny actually: the kind of sarcasm that a friend would give a friend if that friend was the opponent. Anyway..enough of that. And as far as Brad and Angelina goes...who cares? It's their lives. Americans need to find something else to do with their time other than criticize others for irrelevant and unnecessary reasons...and stop worrying about other people's business. It will not apply to your life in the least bit. It's just gossip and petty conversation. Oh! I have an idea...take care of your own. And before judging someone else, make sure you have yourself in line first and that you're not being a hypocrite. Lighten up people...lighten up. Everything is not as bad as it seems.